Paper Jet 14

Paper Jet 14
Hull#001 Built by Dudley Dix

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Wing Leading Edge Part Deux

So I figured that once the wing leading edge blanks were done it would take all of 5 minutes on the table saw to cut the compound angle and get it ready to go. Boy was I wrong! First after racking my brains for 3 hours, making a jig and trying things fifteen different ways I cam to the sad conclusion that my little Ryobi Portable Table saw was not up for the task. It has a sliding tray on left side of the blade for making miter cuts, and no way to make miter/angle cuts on the right side. Combined with the fact that I have a right tilting blade vs. a left one made it impossible to make the cut.

In steps David from work. He has a full woodworking shop in his garage and I figure he can do it easy - 5 minutes tops!! Well it actually took closer to 2 hours to get everything figured out and get the saw set up to make 2 acute compound miter cuts!

I then took the cut blanks home and proceeded to trim and sand them so the would have a good solid fit to the side of the boat. After both sides were fitted I marked the location of the second cut to make it flush with the wing. It's interesting to note that the 750mm minimum length for the blank made it with very little extra to spare!

I finally made one more cut to the outboard end of the rabbited portion so that it was perpendicular to the wing so that it would space for me to glue up the wing support beam.

Next step will be to flip the boat and glue the wing tips and wing support beam!

No comments:

Post a Comment