Paper Jet 14

Paper Jet 14
Hull#001 Built by Dudley Dix

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Wing Leading Edges

Once the epoxy fully set up on the boat I decided to start finishing the wing leading edges. First I cut the rabbits on the back side with the dado blade. Next step was to shape the "airfoil". On the plans there are a couple of suggested cut lines to make the process easier, therefore, I grabbed the protractor and a scale and measured the two different angles of the cut and also the resultant width at the end of the tip. I set the table saw up to cut the angle and ran the pieces through twice in order to cut the two different angles. Its always a little uncomfortable (as in nerve wracking) when you work with the fence on the opposite side of the table saw and you have the blade way high and at an angle. For safety's sakes I made sure I fully understood how I was going run the blanks through prior to turning on the saw. The resultant was a pretty close facsimile to the final shape.


After the blanks where cut out I used a combination of my hand plane and long board sander to sand the tips to the final shape. Next step will be to cut the compound angle in both blanks so that it interfaces correctly with the hull.

Blank set up in a jig to hold it while planning/sanding

The Finished Product!

No comments:

Post a Comment