Paper Jet 14

Paper Jet 14
Hull#001 Built by Dudley Dix

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Prepping the hull for the deck

Today's effort revolved around sanding all the bulkhead / backbone cleats so that they were good and fair so the deck would lay down flat. I also went ahead and filleted the rear 45 degree wing / deck support in place along with adding the final cleats on the transom.

It's worth noting that I have a little strange issue going on between the height of the gunwale, the top of the wing / deck supports (same height as the gunwale) and the top of the transom
(1/8 below). I had noticed that the top of all the bulkheads adjacent to the wing where about an 1/8 inch below the gunwale level, but had not paid too much attention to it since the wing gets attached to the wing beam which I installed level with the gunwale. Once you hit the transom there is a noticeable gap. In order to combat this I went ahead and glued the transom cleat at an angle so that it is flush at the inboard end of the wing, and at wingbeam/gunwale elevation where it matches up with the 45 degree beam. It will create a small gap once I glue the deck on, but it will be filled fairing compound when I start the finish on the boat.

I went ahead and dry fitted the deck panels to the boat to check fit. Looking good!

No comments:

Post a Comment