Paper Jet 14

Paper Jet 14
Hull#001 Built by Dudley Dix

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Dagger Board

While the starboard side panel was setting up I decided to tackle the dagger board. It was pretty much the same drill as the rudder with the exception that it was wider and longer which required more time behind the table saw and more time behind the belt sander / long board sander.

I did have to get my Dad's old HP 11c scientific calculator to do a little math to figure what the ultimate length needed to be so I wouldn't cut too much off the "blank" when I was cleaning up the edges.

I got the
leading edge on both sides planed/sanded, now I just need to go and tackle the trailing edge.

I was surprised to find out that all those little kerfs make the hardwood extremely sharp to the point that it permanently marred the painted finish on my table saw! (A little bummed about that).


I did notice that the dagger board has a slight bend in it. I'm going to do a little research online to see how to best fix that. I'm thinking that I just need to get the bend to relax long enough to let me put the fiberglass/epoxy on it. I'm pretty certain that once that is on there it will keep the shape.


No comments:

Post a Comment