Paper Jet 14

Paper Jet 14
Hull#001 Built by Dudley Dix

Friday, April 2, 2010

Rudders & Dagger Boards!

I decided that it's time to start on a parallel track with the foils. All this waiting around for epoxy to dry and set gives me plenty of opportunity to work on these! Today I went to our local Woodworkers Source and bought some African Mahogany and some Poplar ($50 dollars worth!). I have cut these down into 3 separate strips for each foil which I will epoxy together. The contrast between the Mahogany on the outside and the Poplar in the center should look pretty cool.

In the picture, under all those cans is the rudder! If you look carefully you can actually make out the "racing" stripe under the wax paper. Once the glue sets up for a couple of days I will go ahead and release it out of the clamps and get the dagger board glued up. Once both boards are ready, I'll clean up some of the excess epoxy with a hand plane, and run both boards through the thickness planer. Dagger board will be slightly bigger than 5/8" and the rudder will be slightly bigger than 1/2". This will give me some wiggle room when shaping the foils.

No comments:

Post a Comment