Paper Jet 14

Paper Jet 14
Hull#001 Built by Dudley Dix

Thursday, April 15, 2010

O Crap Moment # 2

Ok so if you look at the sequence of pictures you might suspect that something is backwards - well they are not. Couple of interesting things materialized once I attached the side panels. Firstly there is a specific reason as to why the saw horses are located where they are on the plans, and just randomly screwing them to the frame where they fall does not necessarily work! I found that out when I attached zip ties to the bow and saw the huge bow in the wood where it was conflicting with the horses. So after unscrewing the horses and moving them back I tried again. This time everything went well until I got to the point where there was a joint in the side panels. At that point I noticed a 1/2 inch offset between the holes on the side panels, and that on the bottom sheet. Now, Sam @ Third Coast warned me that this was going to happen and I took extra care to mark the panels as I cut them out, but somehow I was not careful enough and must have mis-marked them (I suspect I sanded off the markings when making the grove for the tape and them mislabeled them). When I took them off the boat and stacked them on top of each other, it was plain as day that one was longer than the other. A quick emergency trip to Home Depot and $60 later I had a heat gun in hand to see how well I could take these apart without destroying them! Set the gun to 500 F and amazingly enough the fiberglass tape peeled right off! After a little sanding I began the progress of joining them all over again. And yes, this time I put both panels on top of each other to make certain they were the right length before I joined them together!! Looks like we will try the process of joining the side panels to the boat this Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment