Paper Jet 14

Paper Jet 14
Hull#001 Built by Dudley Dix

Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter Weekend


Made a little progress this weekend. It was with much anticipation that I finally released the rudder from all the clamps and ran it through the thickness planer to reveal the beautiful contrast between the Mahogany and the Poplar. The thickness planer was a pricey investment but totally worth it! It's hard to tell, but somewhere in there, there is a rudder waiting to come out! Looks like I need another trip to the hardware store to buy a bigger hand planer, and also get a good sanding long board. So the shaping of the rudder is on hold until I do that.

Speaking of planes, I got a chance to use my little block plane to shape the bottom part of the dagger board to match the contours of the bottom of the hull. That and a little sandpaper did the trick. At the same time I released the clamps from the stringers on the nose and attached the forward bulkhead. Interestingly enough the forward bulkhead gives a better idea of the finished dimensions of the hull at the nose.

Lastly, I glued up the dagger board. Once again I dug up my assortment of cans etc. to give a little downward pressure. I'll let it set up a couple of days and release them from the clamps tomorrow.

Next steps will be to add 3 coats of epoxy to the stringers and get ready to start adding the bottom and side skins to the boat. Exciting stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment