Paper Jet 14

Paper Jet 14
Hull#001 Built by Dudley Dix

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Let's try this Again!!



Today was a big day for the boat! I attached the side skins on without too much theatrics! For the most part everything went smooth with the attachment, and I have it on and epoxied in place. I had a little bit of a challenge finguring out how to hold the front part against the bow transom since the clamps kept sliding off. I ended up cheating and drilling some additional holes through the side panels and the bow transom and using zip ties. I figured it worked well for the rest of the boat, therefore, it should work well here. There was a small gap at the bow transom where the side skin met the bottom panel which I could not get rid of no matter how much force I put on the zip ties. The good news was it is small enough that the epoxy fillet material filled it in without too many problems.

Talking about the epoxy fillet material... Today I learned that my handy dandy electronic scale that I bought from Cabelas only goes up to 100 g. I found this out as I was weighing the part A and B of the epoxy. Nothing worse than your scale going blank as you are part way adding the second part of the epoxy. I made the decision to toss the whole batch and start again - The fillet material is what initially holds the hull together prior to taping it, and I figured it was not worth having a bad batch of epoxy screw things up. Unfortunately for me the story does not end there. During the whole issue of messing up the 1st batch I accidentally hit the units button on the scale to the point where I had the exact same problem happen again (I thought it was reading 50 grams, but what it was actually reading was 50 dwt (dont ask I dont know) which was pretty darn close to 100 g... and so I had to throw out the 2nd batch! Luckily third time is a charm!!

Now I'm going to wait a good 2 -3 days to let the whole mess set up prior to removing all the zip ties and proceeding with the next step.

It's beginning to look like a boat!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment