Paper Jet 14

Paper Jet 14
Hull#001 Built by Dudley Dix

Friday, March 26, 2010

Squaring up the frame

Finally finished putting the 3 coats of epoxy on the dagger board case and the front part of the boat, along with finishing up the joining of the bottom and side panels. I ended up having to destructively remove the rail on the front portion of the frame due to a slight issue with runny epoxy! Yes, it ran into the cracks and effectively glued the front frame to the temporary rail! I figured it would be easier to remove it now and build a new frame than to try and do it once the hull was together. Luckily $1.90 at Home Deport, and about 2 1/2 hours of my time fixed the whole thing!

Today I tied the boat down the building frame. I spent a fair amount of time straightening things up although there is still a slight curve in the rear portion of the frame where the plywood is a little warped. It should come out once I start lacing the backbone with the bottom panels. I also noticed that the edge of a couple of the bulkheads are also warped. Not 100% certain what to do about that. When I install the stringers I'll make sure to measure everything and mark the 400mm mar on each stringer so I can check the spacing and make sure everything up to that point is at least true.

I also glued the dagger board casing to the frame. It's amazing how goopy the glue gets. I went ahead and put a couple of pieces of scrap plywood as Dudley suggests in his plans to prevent the whole thing from sliding down!

As you can see I also re-did the scarf joints on the stringers. I wasn't happy the way it turned out the first time and decided to cut them off and re-do them. Looks like the should turn out ok this time. Next step will be look at all the stringer cut-outs on the bulkheads and file them down so that everything fits as it is supposed to. I suspect I am going to have to wait a couple of days to let the scarf joints set up prior to attaching them to the hull. Lot's of starts and stops when working with epoxy!

No comments:

Post a Comment