Paper Jet 14

Paper Jet 14
Hull#001 Built by Dudley Dix

Friday, March 11, 2011

More Gunwales!

Finally got the port side gunwale finalized with the epoxying of the poplar plank. At the same time I  epoxied the cross brace members together making sure they where at 90 degrees to each other.

After the gunwale set up I removed the clamps and did a quick check of the cross brace to see how it fits. Looks like I am going to have to do a little fitting so that it has a snug fit. The fitting is going to have to be a three step process. First I need to sand down the deck in the immediate vicinity and make sure all the fiberglass tape joints are smoothed down, secondly I need to do a little sanding on the cross member itself, and thirdly I need to sand down the gunwales since the top part of the cross brace (to be installed later) will get routed into the gunwales so I need a nice smooth surface so I can accomplish this.

So, today I got home from work and started sanding with 80 grit sand paper to smooth out the gunwales and started sanding the deck down. The gunwales look good, but it looks like I'm going to have to do some more sanding this weekend to get the deck smoothed out.

Cross Member Temporarily Fit in Place


Once everything is set I'll glue the cross member in place after double, triple and quadruple checking it's location!

No comments:

Post a Comment