Paper Jet 14

Paper Jet 14
Hull#001 Built by Dudley Dix

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Cross Deck

Took a weekend break from the boat to go sailing in San Diego - rented a 40' Beneteau - Nice boat! But now I'm back in business!

First thing was to fillet the "cross" in place which I accomplished during the week. I followed this up on Friday afternoon by sanding down the fillets of the cross deck frame prior to installing the cross deck. I figured out it would be easier to do this prior to putting the cross deck in place. I found the center of the cross deck, drilled a hole and installed a brad nail. I drilled a small corresponding hole in the center of the cross deck frame so that I could easily locate the center when test fitting the deck structure.

Cross Deck being temporarily fitted

I temporarily attached the cross deck so that I could determine where to trim the arms up against the rub rails. After trimming the arms I re-fit the deck and marked the rub rails so that I could cut the recesses with the router. It took a combination of the router and my vibrating saw to cut the recess due to the fact that width of the arms created a span that was to great to cut with the router alone.


Next step I glued the cross deck in place. As you can see in the picture I ended up clamping a couple of pieces of wood on one of the cross member arms in order to straighten it out (It's that darn 4mm plywood!)


After letting it set up overnight I removed the clamps and trimmed/sanded the edges - Looks good!


Finally I glued up the mass steps and the spinnaker pole support.



Next steps will be to fillet the cross deck to the cross frame and install the cross deck doublers.

No comments:

Post a Comment