Paper Jet 14

Paper Jet 14
Hull#001 Built by Dudley Dix

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Painting the Upper Deck

Finally started painting the boat! It has been a task I have not been looking forward to based on all the nooks and crannies within the cross members that needed to be painted. It is also a first time for using Interlux Perfection which is a two part paint.

Interlux recommended two coats, I ended up with three for a couple of reasons. Firstly I had the paint and secondly, long term, it would be more durable.

My experience with this paint was OK. First of all it would have gone better if I had sprayed it on. Unfortunately I do not think my neighbors would have been very happy if I atomized a bunch of highly toxic paint / thinners next to their homes so even though I have the equipment I decided to do the old roll and tip.

The other issue is painting large surfaces in a garage. You need to have good ventilation which allows dust particles, and small insects to land in your setting paint so it is impossible to get a perfect surface. Finally, there is the learning curve of using a new type of paint that sets up quickly and does not allow you to brush over a spot if it didn't turn out 100% without ruining the finish.

All being said the finish on the deck looks good for being painted on and for a boat that will be used is good enough!





No comments:

Post a Comment