Paper Jet 14

Paper Jet 14
Hull#001 Built by Dudley Dix

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Drilling holes in the hull!





Next step on the rudder is to mount it to the transom. While I was at it it went ahead and drilled the twin drains at the back.



It is worth noting that I drilled the drain holes first and then I mounted the rudder. Interestingly enough after I looked at Dudley's instruction it may have been wiser to mount the rudder first then drill the holes! Good news is that the height worked out good and also that the drain holes are at the absolute lowest point the hull!



While I was at it I also cut the inspection hole in the front of the deck and widened out the hole at the rudder mount area to install the access plate. I was going to buy a hole saw to do it but decided to just free hand it with a jig saw.

On all these holes I went back and added epoxy to the exposed wood to seal them from moisture.
Rudder Inspection Port

Front Inspection Port

I Also decided to mount some of the hardware on the bowsprit and mast extension. 




So next steps is to get the hull / deck painted. Prior to getting too carried away I wanted to make sure that I had a good way to get the hull up and down off the ceiling without any "strap rash" Therefore, after a little research I went ahead and bought a Harken Hoister. Works pretty slick!









1 comment:

  1. Are you in the water yet?

    I am new to your blog. A friend is building this boat (also in Orange County) and has also hit some delays.

    ReplyDelete