Paper Jet 14

Paper Jet 14
Hull#001 Built by Dudley Dix

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Fairing the Hull

Had some time off between Christmas and New Years and the weather has been extremely pleasant! So it was a good opportunity to get the PaperJet down from the ceiling and start the fairing process. You would think that a a hard chined boat like this would not require a whole lot, but it turns out that you have to do some blending in of the fiber glass seam tape and the hull. In hind sight I should have used a 4" tape vs. 2" as specified in the instructions that way I could have had some room to blend the tape vs adding fairing material.








The other area that needed some work was the bow, so I applied a liberal amount of filler in that area so that I could get a uniform shape on both sides of the boat.




I spent a lot of time sanding down the fairing material and getting smooth with the hull. This initial fairing highlighted a few spots that needed additional work. Mainly I need to add some more material to the joint in the hull, and secondly I need to add some fairing material to the chine areas so that I get a nice consistent chine across the hull.



I was debating whether I would do a second round of fairing prior to primering the boat, but decided that I would be better off adding a coat of primer and doing the final touches of the fairing over the primer. I really had a couple of thoughts behind this. Firstly, Stan Sussman affectionally known as Paint Boy from Interlux suggested that it would be better to have a coat of primer under the fairing material. Secondly in my effort to blend the fairing material into the hull I was beginning to get a little thin on the clear epoxy coat!




I feel like some progress is being made now that I am seeing a primered hull!

Next step is to add some more fairing material, do some more sanding, and another coat of primer!

No comments:

Post a Comment