Paper Jet 14

Paper Jet 14
Hull#001 Built by Dudley Dix

Thursday, April 7, 2011

All pieces attached!

Sunday morning I removed all the clamps from the cross member. Amazing the stiffness that the doublers added to the structure!

Next step was to epoxy the mast step, front rub rail, and bowsprit support:

The inside portion of the rub rail ended up taking a little time to trim and shape - It has multiple angle to deal with in order to fit perfect! I also rounded off the edges with the router - I figured it would be easier to do this prior to installing it! The mast step is both epoxied and screwed in place so I went ahead and drilled and countersunk the holes in the mast steps.



I located the center of both the forward & aft mast steps and pre-drilled a hole to allow the mast step to be screwed in place while the epoxy sets up.

Aft Mast Step Screwed & Epoxied in Place


I also pre-marked the location for the bowsprit support in order to make sure everything was square.

Bowsprit Support attached


Once everything was set up I mixed up a batch of epoxy and glued everything in place. As you can see I used a square to make sure the bowsprit support was square with the deck.

Forward Mast Step in place also


This marks a small mile stone since I have now officially attached all of the pre-cutt plywood pieces to the boat!

Only one thing left to do to the hull prior to finishing the "assembly" is to fillet the bowsprit support into place and laminate and attach the spinnaker guide beam!

Tomorrow I go to the lumber yard to start picking up the wood for the Spars - should be interesting!




No comments:

Post a Comment