Paper Jet 14

Paper Jet 14
Hull#001 Built by Dudley Dix

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Wing Beams


Started the wing beam process by going to Lowe's and buying one of their 8' select 2 x 4's (It took a lot of sorting to find one that was halfway straight). I cut it in half (to make it more manageable) and ran two of the edges through the joiner so I could have both a straight cutting surface and a level surface to run it through the thickness planer. I ran both pieces through the thickness plainer and got them down to the 32 mm height dimension prior to ripping them on the table saw to a width of 22 mm. Armed with the correct dimension lumber I proceeded to cut the slots at the bulkheads for the beams. I ended up buying a 76" long level and clamped the milled lumber to the bottom of the board to get the correct depth of cut. I glued the the beams to the bulkheads making sure to again use the level to keep everything nice and straight. Looks good! Next step will be to cut the intermediate wing beams slots and glue them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment