Paper Jet 14

Paper Jet 14
Hull#001 Built by Dudley Dix

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Top Mast

I decided to tackle the top mast section next. I figured it that it would be a logical progression that way I can get one of the spars somewhat done!

As with the mast I started out by using the power planer to remove all the excess epoxy and to smooth out all of the faces.

Top Mast ready for shaping


I then followed up by figuring out the additional faces that I wanted to plane into the top mast to get it closer to round. Unlike the lower mast it was a little trickier since the majority of it is tapering. I then followed up with the #5 plane and cut in the additional faces and finished by using the boxed sander to round it off. It's interesting to note that although the power plane works great to clean up all of the epoxy mess, it is still better, and for that matter more satisfying to use the hand plane to do some of the detail work. All in all the two make a great combination!



Once I got the desired shape I got the mitre saw out and cut the excess material from both the top and bottom masts.



I then butted up the lower mast to the top mast to compare their shape and get them ready to cut the recess for the fiberglass connector tube. I used a small hand plane to even them up.

Since I had quite the saw dust mess going on I decided to make a bigger mess and clean up the boom and bowsprit. Even though the power planer works great it definitely makes a giant mess and I figured it would be good to get it over and done with! To make things even more messier the "flakes" of epoxy that it creates seem to be electrostatically charged and clings to everything!

Bowsprit cleaned up and ready for shaping

Boom cleaned up Also!


I am now ready to shape the boom and bowsprit!

No comments:

Post a Comment